Samantha Tetangco is the new President. Read on to learn more about her.
- What do you like to write? That’s a funny one. I earned my MFA in Fiction in 2011, and fiction is my first love. That said, my best publication is in creative nonfiction, and lately I’ve been having a pretty tumultuous love affair with poetry.
- Where do you live? I am from California’s Central Valley and moved back here a few years ago. I’ve also lived almost a decade in the San Francisco Bay Area and in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I think my location allegiance, like my genre allegiance, is a bit confused!
- What’s your job? My MFA is from the University of New Mexico, and I currently teach writing at the University of California Merced.
- What’s your favorite LGBTQ-related book or book by an LGBTQ author? This is a tough one for me as I love so many! When I was in my twenties, I downloaded a list of queer books from the Internet and proceeded to request them one-by-one from my local library, and so many of those books have just sat with me as things that helped shape me into who I am. For that reason, I’ll always be grateful for books like Michelle Tea’s Valencia, Sarah Waters’ Tipping the Velvet, and Amistad Maupin’s Tales from the City. But if I had to choose a favorite? Probably Michael Cunningham’s By Nightfall. I also am in love with Ocean Vuong’s collection Night Sky with Exit Wounds. And Mary Oliver’s Why I Wake Early.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Oh wow, FLYING. Or the ability to transport/teleport from one location to another!
- Coffee or tea? Milk or dark chocolate? Print or e-reader? I used to love the coffee, but now I get the burning heart syndrome so have become a big fan of tea! And dark chocolate and print, of course!