Julia Guarch is the new Vice President. They joined the board in March 2018. Read on to learn more about them.
- Pronouns: I have a terrible relationship with all pronouns. My friends use shme/shmer/shmim for me, but I’m used to people referring to me by any of the “traditional” pronouns (they, she, he).
- What do you like to write? I primarily write poetry. I sometimes wander into the world of prose and screenplays, though.
- Where do you live? I live about 45 minutes from Orlando, 15 minutes from Sanford, and 45 minutes from Daytona Beach, Florida.
- What’s your job? I work as a substitute teacher at a charter school, and I am a “Birthday Party Hero” at the Daytona Ice Arena. I’m currently applying for MFA programs.
- What’s your favorite LGBTQ-related book or book by an LGBTQ author? I’m still trying to figure that one out.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be? My superpower would depend on the world we are talking about. If we are in a world where everyone has superpowers, I would like one where I can copy and store other folks’ powers for at least a week. I’d probably call myself “Derivative” like the nerd that I am. If I am the only one (or one of few) who has a superpower, I’d probably like the power to manipulate elements (water, fire, earth, wind, aether). I’d call myself “Elementary” like the nerd that I am.
- Coffee or tea? Milk or dark chocolate? Print or e-reader? Tea. All the tea (except chai)! Milk or dark chocolate as long as it has oranges in it. Print. (Only e-reader when more convenient).
- Fun facts: I’m currently learning how to figure skate. I’m at the Adult Pre-Bronze Freestyle level. Digital art: I am still screaming at my tablet that I know how to draw, so why won’t it do what I want it do. Knitting: I now have five beanies and two scarves I did not have before. Music editing: Audacity deleted half of my work. I cried. Actually staying on a writing schedule: Let’s not talk about that.